THE INADEQUATE MAGICIAN

Adventure Game

CONTRIBUTIONS

THE TEAM

  • Patrik Nilsson (Level designer)
  • Joshua Christiansen (Level Designer)
  • Oscar Öhrn (Programmer)
  • Axel Emanuelsson (Programmer)
  • Björn Stenlund (Programmer)
  • Gabriel Eriksson Cic (Programmer)
  • Christian De Orleans (Programmer)
  • Anton Petersson (Graphics Artist)
  • Nina Sas (Graphics Artist)
  • Oscar Blom (Graphics Artist)
  • Game Design
    • Player Metrics
  • Level Design
    • First Level
    • Third Level
  • Organized Playtesting

SPECIFICATIONS & TOOLS

  • Adventure Game
  • Created in 6 weeks, half-time
  • Game Engine: TGA2D
  • Level Editor: Tiled2D

SUMMARY

In TIM: The Inadequite Magician you play as Tim, a bad wizard who really just wishes he was a bard instead, for his love of culture and music. He hears of a magic book of class change, hidden deep in an old castle, and goes there to find it! Adventure through the castle and fight the enemies within to get the book!

Figuring out the game we wanted to create

screenshot1.png

Building an adventure game was maybe the most comfortable game project for me, as it was something I think I had a lot of previous knowledge growing up playing games like The Legend of Zelda, which was the game that a lot of groups had as a reference game.

We wanted to do something different this time around though, and played around a lot with some different mechanics in the start of the project. We settled on a "boomerang-like arrow", that we got from Titan Souls. This worked well for us, and allowed us to scope quite low, using only one arrow.

 We later were able to very easily create different arrows with different abilities, just tweaking the base variables for the arrow. This gave us a lot of freedom with what we built in the levels. This helped because the project was only 6 weeks long, so we had one sprint less than we were used to.


DESIGNING A LEVEL

screenshot4.png

The first step of designing a level for TIM was to draw it on paper, and make the complete blockout ready to be put into the editor. Because my LD-partner was very focused on the game design, I was pretty free with what I was doing on the level design side.

We wanted the levels to feel very open, and that was our keyword for this project. The levels were initially connected via a hub, that later became the first level, due to the deadline and scoping. The game starts out in the courtyard, then moves on into the library area in the middle of the mansion, and then the final level is in the attic, which we felt was a good progression through the house.

 

screenshot2.png

When originally planning out the project, we wanted the player to be able to see the previous level around or under the current level. This turned out to be a lot harder than we thought, so we scrapped the idea.

The final boss is something that we added quite late in the development. It was something we all felt was needed, but no-one really felt that they had the time to build and design it. We opted to use a schmup-like boss because of that, and it worked well. The ending felt good and represented the kind of gameplay that we had built our levels around.

 


CONCLUSION / WHAT I LEARNED

During this project we worked on a more limited time limit, and had a deadline after just 6 weeks. That had us focus a lot more on what was important for the project, and what we wanted to prioritise. 


SCREENSHOTS